Week # 5 - The Sheild of Faith
What takes place on the INSIDE of my Shield of Faith when I hold it up “AGAINST SATAN”? I HAVE:
PROTECTION, PROVISION, PEACE, WISDOM, GRACE, CONFIDENCE, CALMNESS
SELF CONTROL, LOVE , PATIENCE, JOY-THANK YOU JESUS!!!
Ephesians 6:16: hold up the shield of faith
to stop the fiery arrows of
Ephesians 6:10-19 - Week #5 – Lesson #5
The Shield of Faith
10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh and blood enemies,
but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time
of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.
14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that
you will be fully prepared.
16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.18 Pray in the Spirit
at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.
19 And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God's mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and
Matthew 6:30 and 8:26
2 Thessalonians 3:3
1 Corinthians 10:13
2 Timothy 2:13
How would you describe the difference between belief and faith?
Generally speaking, what do you think are the biggest hindrances to believers acting in faith?
Turn to Ephesians 6:14-15 and 16-17. What major difference do you detect in the tone of these two sections?
Recall a time when you sensed your confidence growing and the fiery arrows
fading as you walked by faith.
Have you ever felt the need for “more faith” to do what you feel God is asking you to do? What were the circumstances surrounding this?
Have you in any way allowed your feelings to override your commitment to obey _
Day #1 Real Faith:
- Ø Two types of shields used by soldiers – small round about the size
of a trash can lid which left most of the soldier’s body uncovered and exposed and the larger shield was typically two feet wide and four feet long shaped almost like a door, consisting of planks of wood fused together. The wood was covered by canvas,
then leather, the iron built in the center hub.
- Ø Faith is one of the most overused and yet underutilized expressions in Christian circles. Which is completely backwards, talking about faith and having it are two different things.
Plain and simple, faith is an ACTION!
- Ø Be a woman “of” faith, not just a woman who “talks about” faith.
- Ø Faith is a process of adapting your behavior, your decisions, and ultimately your whole lifestyle
so that it accords with what God has asked you to do, without needing “to see” the evidence that it will work out in the end.
- Ø The act of faith is what becomes a shield of protection to guard against the enemy’s attack.
- Ø Faith is acting like it is so, even when it is not so, so that it might be so, simply because God said so.
Day #2 On Fire:
- Ø In the battlefields
there was a typical practice; flaming arrows would be sent on fire, disrupting the military lines and causing the occupants to focus on the blaze rather than the attacking enemy.
- Ø Flaming arrows were not primarily meant to kill or destroy;
they were meant to distract.
- Ø Ephesians 6:16 – In addition to all, take up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
- Ø The shield is commanded to be “taken
- Ø The first of these pieces of armor is the shield of faith. The moment when we first sense a flaming arrow infiltrating our life is some way, we activate faith as a shield of protection over our lives.
- Ø The enemy
sends flaming arrows into your life specifically when you are being called to walk in faith. Those arrows are deliberately intended to disable you from doing the only thing that has the power to extinguish them: walking by faith!
- Ø Faith
causes fiery arrows to fizzle. As you move forward, you’ll sense a holy confidence swelling, a bold courage growing, and a hopeful anticipation rising in you, pushing back the obstacles that once overwhelmed you.
- Ø Walking in faith
is doing what God has called us to do anyway-following through on God’s instructions “despite” how incapable we feel.
Ø Soldiers would dip shields in water, then huddle together in a group hoisting
the shields overhead. Strategically placed hooks on the sides would allow them to be linked together; this was called turtle formation.
Day #3 In Good Faith:
- Ø First, faith does not control God. It doesn’t make
God do something. A better understanding of what happens when we exhibit faith is that it gives us access to what God has already intended to do for us.
- Ø Secondly, what we mean by “having faith” actually says far less about us
and a lot more about God. It focuses on how trustworthy, true and loyal the object of that belief has proven Himself to be.
- Ø The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith”. “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed”,
the Lord said, “you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea’ and it will obey you: Luke 17:5-6.
- Ø The more faithful and strong you believe Him to be, the more willing you will be
to depend on Him. Your level of faith will always be tied to your perception of God. If your perception of Him is faulty, your faith is faulty. You don’t need more faith; you need a more comprehensive and accurate view of the faithfulness of your God.
- Ø We may feel like we have very little faith, and yet still be a woman of strong faith because we choose to move forward despite what we feel.
Day #4 A Firm Foundation:
- Ø True faith must always
be built squarely on the foundation of God’s written Word as His Spirit leads you to apply it to your life.
- Ø As believers, we have the privilege of knowing His direction for us as we prayerfully seek it. He will be faithful to show us
the truth, to give us His direction for the next step we are to take.
- Ø Being confident in our next step will be critical in order to help us stay balanced as we pursue a lifestyle protected by the shield of faith.
- Ø Fear is
one of the enemy’s most useful deterrents to faith-filled living. Fear will make you want to drop your shield and run away.