The Belt of Truth - Week #2
Armor of God - Week #2 The Belt of Truth
The Armor of God
Ephesians 6:10-19 - Week #2 – Lesson #2
THE BELT OF TRUTH
Scriptures: Ephesians 6:10-19
10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh and blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.
14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God's righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.
16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere. 19 And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God's mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike.
Ephesians 4:14 & 21& 26-27
2 Timothy 3:6
John 8:31 & 32
2 Corinthians 11:14
TIME TO DISCUSS:
Are there any particular ways you are experiencing imbalance, instability, weakness, or internal discord right now?
Why do you think the Belt of Truth must come first in any successful spiritual warfare against the enemy?
When do you find it particularly hard to keep your spiritual backbone straight?
How is aligning yourself with the truth different from legalism? Why does legalism confine, yet truth sets you free?
Day 1 – Strengthening Your Core
- Ø Priscilla talks about going to a fitness gym and how important having a strong “core” in on your body is so important.
- Ø Core is compared to the Belt of Truth
- Ø Our Core is the central link in the chain that connects the lower and upper parts of our body, enabling all our limbs and movements to work in harmony. It gives us “balance”.
- Ø Roman soldiers girded their loins with something akin to a girdle than a belt. The sturdy, leather girdle of the Roman soldier was made to reach around the torso and provide extra support in demanding movements in war.
- Ø Truth is your core support, it provides the essential backing we need when in the midst of spiritual war.
- Ø But with the standard of truth in place, you can adjust everything else in your life – your ambitions, choices, and feelings; your mind, will and emotions – until all of it is “tuned” correctly.
- Ø Signs of a weak core: Poor Posture – Injury Prone – Body Fatigue.
Day #2 – Truth Checkup
- Ø When we are easily wounded and hurt by words and actions of other people, and then choose to nurse those wounds instead of offering forgiveness and grace, we provide the enemy ample opportunity to plant a root of bitterness in our hearts – a root that’s sure to bear rotten fruit for many years to come.
- Ø When you’re standing firmly on the truth of God and He has revealed in His Word, when His truth is the core of your existence, strength flows into every other area of your life. All your movements and activities (work, school, ministry, relationships) bear witness to the power of God at work in you. They become a beneficiary of divine favor and wisdom.
- Ø You’ll no longer be one of those “weak women”… led on by various impulses, but will be held steady and strong by the belt of God’s truth. You’ll not only know where your enemy is likely to strike, but you’ll be packed with the muscle tone to hole him off.
Day #3 – The Hanger
- Ø The girdle did three things:
- Gave support to the core
- Held and stabilized other key pieces of armor
- Secured the tunic.
- Ø The soldier without his girdle was like a policeman without his holster.
- Ø With God’s truth strapped around your body, you’re relieved of pressure. God’s Word – truth – reveals that righteousness has been given to you through faith in Christ as a free gift, freeing you from living with the weight of all the sin on your shoulders.
Ø Legalism is “the act of putting law above gospel by establishing requirements for salvation beyond repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. Legalism reduces the broad, inclusive and general precepts of the Bible to narrow and rigid codes”.
- Ø As much as we may not like how this girdle pinches and hugs us sometimes, it is meant to unbundle a whole new world of opportunity for us. It helps us hold off our enemy and hold a steady course. Truth sets us free.
Day #4 – Walk this Way
- Ø The thing about deception is that its, well… deceptive. But deception is rarely outright. It’s a lie cloaked in a tweaked version of truth. A fraud. An illusion.
- Ø We need a way to expose the one who “disguises himself like an angel of light” – 2 Cor. 11:14.
- Ø The light separates fact from fiction.
- Ø Our deceiver operated in the darkness. As long as we’re stumbling around in darkness, we’ll never be able to see him for who he really is and detect the underlying intentions of his plans. The truth is the light “spotlight” we need to pierce the darkness.
- Ø When Jesus said knowing the truth will “set you free,” He wasn’t referring to an accumulation of knowledge. Excessive or accurate information has never set anyone free. Knowing things about God doesn’t equal honoring Him. In fact, it’s quite possible to be very smart and yet become “fools”, Romans 1:22
- Ø Freedom comes to us when we follow the truth that we discover in His Word.
- Ø Isa. 30:21 – “Your ears will hear a voice behind you, then go and walk that way”.
- Ø Carefully consider any areas of your life where you are allowing your feelings, gut instincts, or previous experiences to determine you actions.
- Ø Truth-don’t leave home without it.
Hope to see you in Lesson #3
Thankful to share Gods Word